NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Don't Believe It by Charlie Donlea

WOWZA -- fantastic read! "Is fame and fortune enough or is the truth the only thing that matters?"

Wow, Charlie Donlea -- you have done it again! Written a suspense thriller that grabs from the first page and never lets go. It took me through all of the emotions on a twisty ride where I first thought one thing, and then another. Just be careful -- and don't believe anything!

The story -- in 2007, at Gros Piton on St. Lucia at the Jalousie Plantation resort, Julien Crist fell to his death from the bluff. In addition to those injuries, the fatal wound, however, was to his head before he went over. His girlfriend at the time, Grace Sebold -- a medical school graduate about to embark on a neurosurgery residency -- was convicted of his murder.

Ten years later, Sidney Ryan, a documentary producer of some renown, decides to take on this case as a possible expose of miscarried justice. She plans to go back over every element of the situation and show, in real time, everything that she discovers through interviews and evidence. The main question -- did Grace really kill her boyfriend? As her show rockets to unimagined ratings success, Sidney becomes emeshed in a deeper mystery than she anticipated. Her investigation leads her to secrets and lies -- but can she get Grace the reprieve that many believe she deserves?

I loved the narrative as it highlights excerpts from the initial police interviews and investigation as well as examination of all the evidence from the case. Since the trial took place in St. Lucia, it could be that the US government was derelict in duty to one of its citizens. A very complicated endeavor, but Sidney has the clout and the brains to do this well. She's a new network darling and everything she worked for is about to pay off big time. And then... (NO SPOILERS). Yeah, I was sure I knew where this was going -- several times. It wasn't until the very last paragraph that I got my answer!

If you read any of my reviews, you know that I am partical to this genre and read almost everything of this nature. This was exceptional on several counts, but mostly it is the writing style and the way that Donlea tells a great story. Trust me on this, you won't want to miss it!  And if you haven't read his other two novels (all standalones), SUMMIT LAKE and THE GIRL WHO WAS TAKEN, you need to rectify that immediately. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for this e-book ARC to read and review. I admit that I shamelessly begged for it! And I'm so happy I did. Sign me up for #4 now!

No comments:

Post a Comment