NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Keep You Safe by Rona Halsall

Note -- original title GUILTY LITTLE SECRETS

Natalie is put in prison for embezzlement, though she claims that she is innocent. She's also found to be a drug addict, hooked on OxyContin. Through various means, she comes to realize that she's been framed and the only thing in her mind is getting out and back to her infant son, Harry. Finally, she gets out of prison and heads to the Isle of Man because she has found that is where her ex husband, Tom, has taken her son. No spoilers, but she meets a guy on the ferry across to the island. In addition, there is a Polish bad guy after her because of something that happened to his sister while they were both at the same prison.

If you really loved this book -- stop here and don't read any further.

OK. I don't really like to write reviews about books I didn't enjoy. This one didn't do it for me and I almost did the unthinkable (for me, anyway) and nearly marked as DNF. I really don't care for books full of angst and with a constant stream of consciousness where the main character goes on and on ad nauseum about the same old thing. Constantly about Harry. Her lame brained ideas to go get him from his father and "rescue" him. Her actions and the many coincidences that defied my ability to suspend disbelief. I just couldn't get into the story and it was so predictable that I really could have read the first and last chapter and called it done. The narrative is told in a "then" and "NOW" fashion and although I'm not that fond of the style, it worked OK though it took forever for the gist of the whole story to be teased out. I didn't even like the main character, Natalie. The ending was contrived, and let's just leave it now.

I understand this is a debut, and though I like psychological thrillers, this whole plot line has been done to death. I would consider trying a second novel by this author in hopes to see a more original story. I thank NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book to read and review. My apologies to all for my opinions and I'm sure that others will find something different to mine to write about! If you're really picky and you like suspenseful thrillers with twists that leave you guessing and tension that makes you race through the pages, you may want to look for another book.

This is a standalone, not part of any series.

No comments:

Post a Comment