NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, September 28, 2018

The Dream Daughter by Diana Chamberlain

A Trip Through Time...

Well now. This book and its topics are so far out of my usual reading zone that I'm a bit taken aback by how much I enjoyed it. Perhaps I was secretly in need of a "feel good" story instead of crime and thrills! I don't want to say too much because I think readers would enjoy the drama more if they open and dive right in without any preconceived notions.

Most of what I can say about the plot without spoilers is this -- a young woman receives the news that her husband, Joe, has been killed in Pleiku during the Vietnam War. The year is 1970. Caroline (Carly) Sears lives with her sister, brother-in-law and nephew in Nag's Head on The Outer Banks and soon discovers that she is pregnant. Unfortunately, the fetus has a heart defect that will result in death once the baby is born. The grief is unbearable for Carly, until her brother-in-law, Hunter, tells her a fantastical tale that may provide a way for this baby to survive. Does Carly have the courage to make a leap of faith in order to save her unborn child? You'll just have to read it to find out.

Note -- this will require a lot of suspension of disbelief and reads more like a fairy tale than contemporary fiction. Despite that, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane with all the details of time and setting. The writing made the characters come to life on the page and sure wrung out every emotion from tears (yes, I felt some prickling) to laughter. I would categorize it all as "uplifting".
I hope you enjoy this break as much as I did!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this e-book ARC to read and review. I've read most all of the books by this author, and will definitely be looking out for her next one.

This is a standalone and is not part of a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment