NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, September 24, 2018

The Proposal by SE Lynes

"...momentous events, be they good or bad, catapult us from our core, leave us floating, weightless, lost."

Pippa Gates has no idea what is going to happen to her after she opens the door to a wandering salesperson hawking cleaning supplies and invites him into her house. Pippa is a teacher and struggling wanna-be author with a less than stellar published book to her name and a synopsis of her next one due to the editor -- tomorrow! Instead of actually working to meet the contract, she is procrastinating and drinking heavily. Seeking some kind of inspiration, she makes an unusual proposal to the shabby, down-on-his luck man -- tell her the story of his life for 200 pounds. He agrees and sits down at her kitchen table and she hits gold. How could she know that this evening will lead to an insane obsession that will leave her...NO SPOILERS.

This psychological thriller is, without a doubt, the most bizarre, messed-up story I have ever read, and believe me, I've read some humdingers. But I mean that in a good way! The characters of Pippa and the man at the door, Ryan Marks, are two deeply disturbed individuals that defy explanation. The narrative is told in an unusual format -- part being the private journal written by Pippa and the other main segments are blog posts by the author Pippa that are on social media. In addition are a few italicized ramblings recorded by Ryan. Trust me, it all makes sense when you read it.

I'm not sure when a book has hooked me so completely while all the time I'm wondering what the heck it is that I'm reading! Pippa shares a very twisty tale that could only be told by someone who is or must be totally warped. The things she thinks and says and does surely defy the concept of normal! I think you'll enjoy the crazy ride as much as I did. Don't miss it if only to be able to talk about it with a fellow reader after you finish reading it!

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for this e-book ARC to read and review. This is not the first book that I've read by this author and after this, I just have to see what she comes up with next!

This is a standalone, not part of a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment