NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

This psychological thriller is so compulsive that I opened the book this evening and did not put it down until I finished just moments ago! I wanted to write a review while all the emotion and reactions were still running hot.

Here's a piece of free advice: Never lie your way into a psychological research study. We all know how those devious little manipulators can trick you -- ha! Obviously, Jessica (Jess) Farris wasn't privy to my admonition and she went and signed up, becoming Subject 52 after answering some moral and ethical questions on a laptop computer in an empty classroom. Jess is instructed to "be open and truthful" when taking the questions. Little does she know that she is already being analyzed and is subsequently found suitable for an expanded study that will require a great deal more than Jess could have ever anticipated. What becomes of Jess, a floundering make-up artist in desperate need of money for herself and for her family? And what is she willing to do for Dr. Shields in order to get it?

Oh the characters! All basically nasty and terribly unreliable and I can't say I liked any of the schemers. Just when you think you have it all figured out, there is a subtle shift that might make you unsure if you're coming to the right conclusions. The narrative style and changes in person and point of view is quite effective in stringing the reader along. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I really did not like how the story ended even though I really enjoyed the book!

I read this duo's previous novel, The Wife Between Us, and truly appreciate their talented work on this second collaboration. It stands out in a genre field that has become so inundated with new novels of psychological fiction where all the characters basically have way too many secrets and lies. I'm sure that there will be tons of hype but I had no expectations going in as I haven't read too much about this book and urge others not to read too many reviews before diving in. Enjoy the roller coaster ride and wait for the movie so you can relive the story!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and not part of any series.
Genre: Psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment