NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, January 11, 2019

The Perfect Liar by Thomas Christopher Greene

"Everything was perfect, and full of perfect people, except for the two of them, who looked the part, but were sliding backward into their true, deep imperfections, where they belonged."

The only question to be answered in this domestic drama is -- who is the "perfect liar"? Max W. is basically a fraud and Susannah has some deep-seated psychological issues. She and her 15-year-old son, Freddy, are still reeling from his father's death when Max appears at party and sweeps her off her feet. Their marriage seems to be going very well until the morning a note appears taped to their front door. All of a sudden, their wonderful life starts unraveling. No spoilers.

I was really into the story until things shifted and my "oh no" meter ramped up. Told in alternating points of view by Max and Susannah, the two extremely unlikeable characters are definitely suited to each other. There are hints and red herrings but it becomes more clear quite soon what is about to happen. I just hated the ending and I'd love to tell more about the reason for that, but can't without ruining the requisite twisty part. It just didn't work for me and I'll stop after saying that I really prefer a book where justice is served.

Although this one didn't hit all the right notes for me, I enjoyed a couple of hours reading about this crazy couple. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-book ARC to read and review. I'm certain others will find it a very satisfying psychological thriller and I'm sorry it just didn't quite meet the expectations raised by the synopsis and premise.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre/labels: domestic drama, psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment