NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, July 26, 2019

The Chain by Adrian McKinty

PSA:  Clear your schedule, turn off your mobile, lock the door and settle in for one very intense reading session! This is a book that demands to be read in a single sitting without distractions.

I was wondering what all the recent hype was about, and wow did I find out. I can see why this one is getting so much buzz and it's definitely well-deserved. Someone please tell me that this is another summer blockbuster that will be optioned for the big screen?!

What it's about: Rachel Klein, divorced and age 35,  is driving to see her oncologist when she gets the first call. A distorted voice tells her "two things you must remember...you are not the first and you will certainly not be the last...it's not about the money -- it's about The Chain." In a follow up call, Rachel receives awful news -- her 13-year-old daughter, Kylie, has been kidnapped. The person at the other end of the phone is very clear. All Rachel has to do do is follow the rules and then she'll get her daughter back, unharmed. There's a ransom demand, and, unbelievably, Rachel learns that she is also going to have to kidnap someone to replace her daughter on The Chain. Any deviations and Kylie will die. No one can break The Chain or everyone pays. NO SPOILERS.

Why you should read it: The writing is excellent; there are so many good quotes I couldn't pick one to start off my review as I normally do. The plot is original and well-paced creating tension and suspense from the very start. The characters are multi-dimensional and elicit empathy and relatabiililty. You root for them, as unlikely a duo as are Rachel and Pete, and even if you have to suspend some disbelief, you go there willingly. It's pure entertainment and kind of scary in many ways. I really enjoyed it and I think you will too!

Thank you to NetGalley and Mulholland Books for the e-book ARC to read and review. I'll be recommending this one to every reader I know!

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre -- suspense drama 

No comments:

Post a Comment