NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, July 27, 2019

The School Friend (The Friendship Pact) by Alison James

A standalone domestic thriller that didn't go exactly where I was expecting and I liked it for that reason.

What it's about: Lucy (Lucinda Katherine Mary) is married to the eminent cardiac surgeon Marcus Wheedon. She's his second wife and has two stepchildren. Unfortunately, the union is not a happy one for Lucy. Marcus is a controlling jerk and, after 5 years of his dominance, she is determined to leave his abusive household. Marcus has no intention of letting her go. When Lucy goes on the run and is brought back home by Marcus time and again, she knows she needs some help to escape. Who can assist? She has an old friend from childhood, Adele Watts, and they share a secret that might make Adele willing to aid and abet... But that's only part of the story. NO SPOILERS.

Why I liked it: The writing and pace of the story made this a really fast read. I enjoyed how the story was able to surprise me by veering a bit off the typical psych thriller plot line. I expected Lucy to be successful, of course, but not exactly in the ways in which it all happened. I found Lucy to be relatable and, though she definitely makes some stupid choices, I did find myself liking her. It was easy to get through this in a single sitting and despite the conclusion being a bit unbelievable, it was fitting.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review. It has since been retitled as the copy I read was "The Friendship Pact."

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre -- domestic drama/psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment