NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, October 28, 2019

Heart of the Demon (DS Hunter Kerr #1) by Michael Fowler

I only meant to read a few chapters but after the opening action, I was glued to my chair and read it straight through in a couple of hours. WOW. Now, this is crime fiction -- where has Michael Fowler been and why I am just hearing about this series. This edition looks like a re-release of an earlier published book, but now I'm hooked and want to read them all!

DS Hunter Kerr and his partner, DC Grace Marshall are about to meet a demented serial killer. This case will have repercussions that they can't even foresee and the Barnwell Major Investigation Team will face a devious foe who has been perfecting his skills for many years. It all starts with the discovery of 14-year-old Rebecca Morris in a derelict barn. She'd been reported missing only a few hours prior and her killer was interrupted leaving the strangled and stabbed body behind. But this is only the beginning and soon they discover that Rebecca was not his first victim. The gruesome signature the psycho has left behind give the only clues they have to go on, but the dedicated team won't rest until they have tracked the monster and brought him to justice. NO SPOILERS.

This police procedural was everything a good suspense thriller should be so I'm giving it a rare 4.5 stars. I loved all the characters in the book (well, except for the bad guy of course) and I enjoyed learning about their professional and personal relationships. The details of the investigation, the forensic examinations, the meticulous search for information and the painstaking attention to even the tiniest clue were so absorbing that I was unable to tear my eyes away until the final page. I loved the writing style, the dialogue and the entire complicated plot. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys crime fiction.

Thank you to NetGalley and Sapere Books for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the first in a series featuring DS Hunter Kerr and definitely read them in order if you can!
Genre - crime thriller,  police procedural

No comments:

Post a Comment