NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Patient by Steena Holmes

"Fear is a wonder drug. The chain reaction it creates within our bodies is amazing. Prepare and protect...Fear doesn't control me. I control it."

Someone in the town of Cheshire is killing parents and leaving behind the sleeping innocent children after the bloodbath. Everyone is on alert, suspicious and desperate for the "Mad Queen of Cheshire" to be apprehended and punished. Because of the name, this little hamlet has a huge interest in all things "Alice in Wonderland" and has many themed shops and activities. Dr. Danielle Rycroft, a therapist, is no exception and has a huge amount of books and collectibles as well. This psychological thriller opens with Danielle disclosing that she is finally ready to admit that one of her patients might be the serial killer. The only problem is, she's not sure which of those she's treating is the one.
All of them have major issues with their childhoods and all seem capable of violence. NO SPOILERS.

Although the theme is interesting, I would have liked this novel more if I hadn't immediately seen through to the obvious conclusion. So much of the story required immense suspension of disbelief and my irritation with Danielle as a character was extreme. There is so much more I could say but to do so would give away the denouement and I don't want to ruin the guessing game for anyone. Note that this book contains references to childhood sexual abuse in case that topic is a trigger for anyone. I know that others have really enjoyed this and I'd love to discuss certain elements further where spoilers aren't an issue.

2.5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for this e-book ARC to read and review after I spotted it on Facebook.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre - psychological thriller, personality disorder

No comments:

Post a Comment