NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, October 21, 2019

What He Did (DCI Rachel Hart #2) by J.G. Roberts

This is a fast-paced crime thriller, the second in the series featuring DCI Rachel Hart, and I have some mixed feelings, especially about the cliffhanger ending and some unresolved issues. I assume that's the tag for book 3. I don't know about your reading habits, but mine are such that by the time it comes out, I will have totally forgotten my urgent need to know and may no longer even care. That being said, this is a decent detective novel though quite predictable once we learn what's really going on.

The novel starts with a car wreck. The critically injured man, Simon Shaw, is the husband of one of Rachel's friends. Maddy Shaw, a newscaster on "News 24/7, just happened to be on-air when the bulletin came across. She didn't want their 22-year-old daughter, Siena, to hear it on the television because Siena had recently suffered a suicide attempt after her boyfriend dumped her, so Rachel goes to be with Siena while Maddy breaks the news. It gets even worse for the family, however, when it's discovered that the car accident may have actually been attempted murder. And even more revelations follow -- Simon hadn't exactly been entirely truthful with his wife and had been hiding a big, bad secret from his youthful footballer days. When other dead men turn up, all related to the incident that also involved Simon, DCI Hart knows she has a complex situation on her hands. The detectives are on the hunt for the killer, but it may be someone who they don't expect. It seems that revenge may just be a dish best served cold. NO SPOILERS.

This is a complicated story with lots of background and deals with an historic event. There are lots of characters to keep track of and a great deal of leg work in the investigation. In addition, Rachel's personal life becomes more of a focus as she gets to know Tim, her fledgling defense lawyer boyfriend, a bit better. I admit, I have a hard time when characters have all this emotional baggage they can't unload, but hopefully Rachel can get it together and move on from her feelings about her own past and her twin sister, Ruth. But I doubt it! I don't think Ruth will let her!

I do believe you would want to read the first book in this series first in order to get a handle on Rachel Hart, but perhaps enough is relayed in this narrative to catch you up without doing so. I've read both books now, and it's likely I'll go ahead and sign on for #3. I'm a sucker for female detectives though there's a part of me that wonders how some of these messed up women get to their positions. Sorry, but surely there could be a few that don't have so many mental issues or horrid pasts or skeletons in their closets? But, I digress. This was a solid follow-up though the plot wasn't especially unusual and with the loose ends, I'm not sure how things end up for the characters.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the second book in the series and I suggest you read them in order.
Genre - crime thriller, police procedural, domestic drama, revenge motive

No comments:

Post a Comment