NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Dead Girl Walking (Jessie Novak #1) by Roberta Gately

 An Emergency Room nurse, Jessie Novak, plays detective in this crime thriller.

When a young couple is attacked, shot, and left for dead in an alley, they are brought to Boston City Hospital by ambulance. Jessie is on duty and finds the wife, Ann Hart, barely alive and the husband with a less serious wound. For some reason, she can't get the crime out of her mind and is quite suspicious about the event. Meanwhile, she's harassed by a reporter and is involved with two local cops who share many investigative details about their investigation with her. NO SPOILERS.

I confess I picked this up solely because I have also worked as an ER nurse. I'm always interested in medical thrillers and thought that this first in a new series might hit the spot for me. Unfortunately, I found it all fairly ludicrous and my ability to take the necessary leaps to credulity was strained to the max level. I simply could not stand the main character, Jessie, nor could I even remotely imagine the level of her involvement in a crime such as this as an ER nurse. The other main irritation I developed was with Jessie's romantic entanglements. Overall, I did not find this gripping or suspenseful -- it all just seemed silly to me. I doubt I'll be interested in another installment featuring this character.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for providing a copy of this e-book ARC for me to read and review. 


This is the first in a new series featuring this nurse.

Genre - crime thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment