NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, January 4, 2021

The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins

 Domestic drama that invokes the Gothic classic, Jane Eyre, but set in modern day Birmingham, Alabama. This novel is full of totally unlikable characters and is fast-paced and hard to put down even as you know what is likely to happen with all the hints and similarities.

Jane Bell, a young woman with a secret past, now working as a dog walker in a fancy place. She wants to be part of the world in Thornfield Estates and finds her dream in Eddie Rochester. Eddie is a new widower whose wife is missing along with her best friend -- both presumed dead. He's rich on his dead wife's money and finds Jane easy to fall for and he overwhelms her with a whirlwind romance. But wait! As Jane tries to fit into the new neighborhood and cultivate all the southern charm necessary to succeed in those social circles, there are some nagging inconsistencies and many questions about what really happened to Bea and Blanche.

I was enjoying all this well enough but started worrying way too soon about what was going to happen at the climax and conclusion. I knew I would be disappointed and I totally felt cheated when I got there. I think that the resolution ruined it for me. I can't say more due to NO SPOILERS. I don't feel that anyone got what he/she deserved.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this e-book ARC to read and review. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - domestic drama/suspense

No comments:

Post a Comment