NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, February 27, 2022

The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager

 


A washed up alcoholic actress lives alone in the family house on Lake Greene in Vermont. She spies on her neighbors using the binoculars left behind by her recently drowned husband, Len. As days go by, she becomes really interested in the couple who live directly across the lake - The Royces. Something strange is going on in that house and Casey Fletcher is determined to get to the bottom of it all.

If you are looking for a straight forward suspense or psychological thriller, this is not the book for you. To say it bordered on the preposterous might be a little strong, since this is fiction after all, but toward the last third of the book the author really goes way out there. That twist is what turned me off to the rest of the book and I ended up severely disappointed despite having read and generally enjoyed all of this author’s previous stories. I can’t say more without spoilers, so just leaving it here that I wish I had not wasted my time. 

I do appreciate NetGalley and Dutton for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series. 

Genre - suspense, supernatural

No comments:

Post a Comment