NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, February 21, 2022

The Overnight Guest by Heather Gudenkauf

 A snowstorm in winter. An isolated farmhouse. A woman alone — until she finds some unexpected visitors.

Wylie Lark is finishing her latest true crime novel when the blizzard hits. As she gathers wood to stoke the fire, she finds a child in the snow outside her door. The child’s mother soon makes her appearance and Wylie knows that these two are in danger. Can she help them?

Well. I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. The author tends toward long descriptions about things that really didn’t interest me as the story progressed. Told in 3 different time lines, I was wondering how it would all come together and it finally did. The least interesting part to me was that of the captivity. I like action and this was a lot of description instead. The plot was predictable and required a huge amount of suspension of disbelief at the amazing coincidences here. Though it all comes neatly together at the end, the novel really didn’t answer the questions I had. I can’t say I really liked the characters and it all seemed so contrived. It was a quick read over a couple of hours today. I never felt the tension or suspense typical of my reaction to a thriller but am looking forward to seeing other reviews. 

Thank you to NetGalley and Park Row for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - meant to be suspense thriller, drama




No comments:

Post a Comment