NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, April 30, 2022

One for Sorrow (DI Callanach #7) by Helen Sarah Fields

 An explosive crime thriller with a cliffhanger ending.

A serial bomber is targeting Edinburgh and victims become the near and dear. DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach head the investigation but have no leads, no clues, and a fear that this killer will not stop.

Without spoilers, I really can't explain this "didn't like it" star rating. Suffice to say that all I want to know is, "Why??!!"  Helen Fields, you had me at #1 and this was one of my favorite detective series ever, but THAT ENDING. All I can say is, "No!"  This blatant emotional manipulation with characters I've grown to admire and love is something I just can't accept. To top it off, leaving that cliffhanger was just cruel. Calls to mind another series that I read and loved until a moment just like the one in this book. Our relationship is over, joining a list of authors I will hard pass in the future.

I can't believe other long-time readers of this series will be happy with this 7th installment, but I have always been one to be heavily invested in a good writer with great plots and good stories to tell. All good things must end...

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon for this e-book ARC to read and review. I can't recommend. 

This is the 7th in what was a good series that I had read from the beginning and dearly loved.

Genre - crime thriller, police procedural

No comments:

Post a Comment