NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Gone Tonight by Sarah Pekkanen

 Suspenseful domestic drama and psychological thriller.


What would a loving mother do to protect her daughter? Ruth is living those things every day after becoming pregnant at 16 and leaving her family and home to fend for herself. Ruth has always done whatever it took to keep them safe. Catherine is now 24, has gotten her nursing degree, and is about to embark on her own life which begins with her moving away. Ruth can't bear it. Catherine doesn't understand it. But why is Ruth so desperate to keep Catherine close?


Secrets and lies have built the relationship between Ruth and her daughter. Now things start to fall apart as Catherine no longer believes her mother and suspects that her whole life might be a careful construction. They become wary of one another as the layers of deceit are revealed. 


This was an engaging and compelling drama with some twists and shocks as the mother and daughter start to learn more about each other. Lots of emotional buttons in the narrative that flips back and forth between Ruth and Catherine as each tells her perspective. I found that both characters had qualities that I could relate to and actions that I could understand at times. Not that their behaviors or choices would be those I might make, but they were believable in context. I liked the writing style and the narrator in the audio did a good job though I'm not sure the voices were different enough that I would have known who was speaking had I not also been following along in the e-book. 


I like mother-daughter stories for the most part and this did not disappoint. Thank you to the publishers for the e-book ARC to read and review. I obtained the audio format from my library.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mother-daughter drama, secrets and lies, psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment