NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello

 This is a total trainwreck of a book that I should have marked DNF instead of forcing myself through it.


The story is relentless in being completely annoying and scoff out loud ridiculous. The main character, Caroline, is bonkers for fake and for real. I listened to the audio (which was done well despite the material the narrator was working with) and followed along in the e-book. 


Yes, the definition of unreliable narrator is true here, but the way in which Caroline tells what happens to her after she googles herself is so frenetic and bizarre that the wide umbrella of mental health disorder doesn't begin to cover her personality and behavior. 


I can't imagine how anyone found this enthralling unless it is that feeling when something is so bad that you just can't look away. The ending, well, it had a twist of course, but not one that could salvage the story. 


This was an old ARC that I picked up off the shelf when I got the audiobook from the library. I'm definitely not the intended audience for this novel. Not recommended. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre: psychological thriller. Uses the amnesia device. 

No comments:

Post a Comment