NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, May 10, 2024

What Happened to Nina? by Dervla McTiernan

 Riveting and thrilling domestic suspense.


Simon and Nina had been a couple since they were 16 years old. Once both went off to college, their relationship started to change. In an effort to regain their close bond, they take a week-long trip to do some climbing and hiking at Simon's family cabin in Vermont. Only Simon returns home. So, what happened to Nina? The police get involved and the investigation explodes as both families close ranks and the news goes viral on social media. Speculation, rumor, and innuendo create a disturbing subtext that makes the truth even harder to find. Nina's family wants answers and Simon's parents stonewall every attempt at discovery. 


The narrative shifts in point of view primarily between each parent -- and all want only one thing. Simon's parents want him not to be responsible for whatever happened to Nina and her parents want her to come home. 


I listened to the audiobook while also reading along in the e-book ARC provided by the publisher. The production was excellent with a very talented group of narrators who gave so much depth to the characters and the story. 


I could not bear to put this down as it kept me totally on edge waiting to find out what would happen next. Also, I could not help but note the disturbing similarities between this plot and the true crime events surrounding the case of Gabby Petito who was murdered by her fiancé. 


This is my penultimate favorite book so far this year and I fear that everyone I know will suffer my book stalking. I definitely give this 4.5 stars. It was emotionally gripping and I am sure I will be thinking about it for some time.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - crime thriller, domestic drama, suspense, mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment