NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

The God of the Woods by Liz Moore

 Compelling family drama and mystery.


What a story! I wasn't sure at first if all the jumps in timeline and different character points of view would keep me engaged, but I was drawn in immediately and could not put this book down until I finished it. I had to know.


Set in the Adirondacks, an affluent family suffers the loss of two children. With more than a decade between those disappearances, the Van Laar family has closed ranks but will do anything to maintain their reputation as they live and party during summers at the mansion they built there. On their vast tract of land, the family also operates a summer camp for the children of wealthy parents. Meanwhile, an escaped convict is making his way north. 


This book had so many layers, secrets, and characters from various social classes. The writing was excellent and even though I kept guessing, I was not able to guess as the climax and revelations surprised me. Definitely this is a great one for a book club.


I was able to listen to the audiobook while also following along in the e-book. The narrator gave such incredible depth to the story but, as always, I know it would have put it over the top with a male voice for some of the characters. The production was well done.


Definitely recommend this one.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - literary fiction, suspense, mystery, family drama

No comments:

Post a Comment