NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

One Perfect Couple by Ruth Ware

 Not at all what I expected. 


Well, finally, this is over. What a nightmare of a read. Despite being lured in by the synopsis that pretended to relate to reality television competitions, the book was basically a bad episode of a survivor show. With totally nasty, hideous characters and a very disjoined narrative. The writing was terrible and repetitive, and the book was way too long. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I tried, in vain, to understand why others liked it but I can't relate. There were so many missed opportunities for the author to use the setting and the show concept, but those were ignored and missed. The motive for the whole experience was so lame it strained the last bit of my credulity. 


I listened to the audiobook while also following along in the e-book ARC provided by the publisher. Usually, this approach makes me enjoy a book more, but in this case, the narrator's voice and the way she expressed the characters put me over the edge. The mispronunciations (such as her saying inchulin for insulin) and the very bad French accent, not to mention the male character voices grated on every last nerve. Hard pass for future Ware novels. I've tried and now I'm totally done.

This is a standalone and not part of any series.

Genre - supposed to be mystery thriller but it wasn't. Abuse, murder, survival

No comments:

Post a Comment