NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, October 10, 2024

I Need You to Read This by Jesse Maxwell

 An advice columnist solves the mystery of her predecessor’s death.


This was a very predictable amateur sleuth story that was slow and formulaic. I didn’t care for any of the characters, especially not Alex, the protagonist, and most of what happens to her was unlikely and highly improbable. The leaps to conclusions made me laugh, but I don’t think that was the intent. I could barely force myself to finish this once Alex starts trying to do some investigating and goes off totally half cocked. Her diner friendships were convenient, and the new boyfriend should have left her behind the minute she got so weirded out after he asked her a simple question. Alex’s backstory told in the form of the overly long and detailed Dear Constance letters was not a good use of that writing style/technique. In any case, I’d not recommend this. In truth, it was boring and banal. 


I listened to the audiobook while also following along in the ebook ARC provided by the publisher. It did little to enhance the narrative and I was meh about the narrator’s voice and her attempts to give life to the characters. It wasn’t enough to save it.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment