NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Lies He Told Me by James Patterson

 Entirely predictable and completely unbelievable mob trope.


After a daring rescue, the video of the hero David Bowers goes viral and his whole life blows up. His wife is caught unawares and things go from bad to worse as the bad guys close in. Marcie can’t trust anyone except maybe (how continently) her old ex boyfriend who is now a cop. 


Others have already mentioned the unrealistic plot points and the stereotypical characterizations. You’ll have to suspend disbelief to enjoy this one to any extent. The behavior and actions of the characters is basically a total cliche and I spent most of my time shaking my head. The chapters are short and the author keeps certain information to himself long enough to get irritating. The story is told from various points of view and skips around between them a lot.  I did not relate to any of the characters nor like any of them. I generally like Patterson standalones, but this will be an exception. The whole ramp up, climax and conclusion were just way too outrageous to enjoy. 


I listened to the audiobook while also following along with the e-book ARC provided by the publisher. I much preferred the male narrator’s voice as the women’s overly dramatic reading was occasionally quite annoying. I always find that the experience of listening while reading helps improve a book I’m not really into. 


I see I’m again an outlier but this book was definitely not for me. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mob, criminals, lawyers, money laundering, secrets and lies

No comments:

Post a Comment