NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Irene - #1 Verhoeven Trilogy by Pierre Lemaitre






4.0 out of 5 stars -- Grisly. Gory. Good.

If you're planning to read the Verhoeven Trilogy, wait for its release and read this one first! I made the mistake of reading ALEX and it spoiled much of the shock because I already knew the outcome. Sometimes it doesn't matter that much if you read out of order, but I wish I had read this book first. That said, get ready for chills and thrills in this action packed suspense thriller that grabs on and doesn't let go.

Police Commandant Camille Verhoeven is called to the scene of a very brutal homicide (lots of graphic details in this book so be forewarned) and finds a message: I AM BACK! After some initial investigation, and a call from a bookstore owner, the team finds that the serial killer may be staging scenes from classics in the crime fiction genre. The case becomes intense very quickly with tons of media attention and even a personal profile about Camille and his wife, Irene, who are expecting a baby. All the papers are demanding answers about unsolved murders from the past and worried about what this mad killer has planned next.

No more revelations about the plot, but know that it is fast paced and had me furiously flipping the pages racing toward the climax. I could not put this down until the very end. Even though I KNEW what was coming (mistakenly reading ALEX first - DO NOT DO IT), I was still caught up. I'd recommend it if you like psycho thriller chiller type of books with well-developed characters who are quite unique.

I can't wait for the conclusion to this trilogy and have no idea of release date or title.

No comments:

Post a Comment