NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, April 20, 2015

The Bones of You by Debbie Howells

4.0 out of 5 stars -- Just what does it mean to a soul to be able to love and be loved?

When 18-year-old Rosie Anderson is found murdered in the woods, the whole town reacts with gossip, insinuation, innuendo, and speculation even as next-door neighbor, Kate, is drawn to help the stunned parents and sister of the dead child. Investigators don't have a lot to go on, for Rosie was not a rebellious teen, and she shouldn't have been out that night. Who killed her and why? There are many secrets in this small village.

No spoilers...How I love a twisted suspense thriller! This one was very well written and I was drawn into the drama immediately. Even though I knew within a chapter or two how it all would likely conclude, I was taken by how well the author played the scenes and how the changing perspective of the narrators kept me checking myself to make sure I was on the right track. I loved the process of the slow reveal, the tantalizing clues, the red herrings, and the dangling chapters as I raced through the pages staying up way too late into the night because I just had to finish before I could sleep.

I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a good mystery with plenty of good and evil to go around. It's being compared to THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Sebold, probably because the voice of the murdered girl narrates some alternating chapters. The prose is lovely and I really enjoyed this.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment