NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, May 16, 2015

After the Storm by Linda Castillo (#7 Kate Burkholder)

4.0 out of 5 stars -- "There is a universal truth when it comes to violent crime; the deceased is never the only victim."

It's been awhile since I've read Castillo's series featuring the formerly Amish Kate Burkholder who is now the Police Chief of Painter's Mill in upstate rural Ohio. I somehow missed #4, 5, and 6 -- and a lot has changed for Kate though she is still a great, well-developed character and I was happy to connect with her again in this 7th book in that series. I've made a note to myself to go back and read those 3 books as I enjoy the details about Kate, her background, and her personal and professional life.

In this story, Kate is confronted with a discovery of bones that leads to a gruesome crime -- or was it an accident -- from over 30 years ago. The Amish folk are not talking but someone is taking rifle shots at Kate as she investigates the case. She gets out of many scrapes without serious injury, but she's always putting herself in harm's way. Her boyfriend, CBI agent Tomasetti, is understanding and helpful. I enjoy reading about their relationship ups and downs. As always, the integration of the Amish culture into the story adds a layer that provides much more enjoyment than with a typical police procedural and the small town rural atmosphere also provides a nice change of setting.
Will Kate figure out what happened to the victim and who was responsible?

I enjoyed this fast-paced novel and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good crime mystery with a strong heroine. I'm sure it would have been even better had I read all of this series, in order, instead of skipping three of them.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press Minotaur Books for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment