NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, May 4, 2015

In Wilderness by Diane Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars - Haunting, extremely disturbing, somewhat depressing -- I had to take a little time to get my thoughts ordered after finishing this one. The prose paints a very poignant picture of loneliness mashed up with near psychosis. The details of the wilderness and Katherine's isolation, along with her physical illness, made me anxious and fearful. I perceived Danny as a dangerous menace immediately, and willed him to stay away from her even as I knew she was emotionally needy given her history, and compelled to play her part in their mutually assured destructive relationship. This could never result in any "happily ever after" fairy tale ending.

After thinking about this book for two days, I find that there was much that just makes me uncomfortable. So many things happened to Katherine from opening to conclusion. The shifting point of view didn't help to clarify -- and unless you read the author's note at the back of the book, you might be perplexed. It was obvious what Danny's problem was, but I really had no clue about Katherine's illness. And to be honest, I didn't "like" either of the main characters in this book.

If you like to read long descriptive phrases about the woods, names of trees, flora, fauna, weather -- then you might like this more than I did. I'm not a wilderness type, so it didn't affect me in the way the author probably intended.

One main point to make in my review, this would make a great book for a book club discussion.

Thank you to Random House Publishing Group - Bantam Dell for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment