NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, May 22, 2015

Killing Secrets by Dianne Emley (#5 Nan Vining)

2.0 out of 5 stars -- Although the 5th in the Nan Vining series, this is the first -- and last -- one that I will read. I like my suspense thrillers believable with realistic scenarios and characters with depth. The plot was thin and the mystery was weak.

Nan Vining, Pasadena PD, is one of those cops who likes to work alone -- there's no trusty sidekick with witty repartee -- and she takes a lot of chances and gets into a lot of perilous situations. I didn't care for her character and even less her relationship with her teenaged daughter, Emily. When Emily and her loser boyfriend find the bloody bodies of their teacher and a fellow student in the arroyo, even though Nan is supposed to be having time off, Nan throws herself into the investigation. Is it homicide or suicide? What a complicated but predictable tale with multiple suspects and an unsurprising conclusion. I never really felt any suspense or that Nan or Emily were in any true danger and it seems to me that Nan makes some poor decisions as cop.

So, I'd not really recommend this although I would guess that others who have followed this series might find it more appealing.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing - Alibi for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment