NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Lies by T.M. Logan

Oh, what a tangled web...

"The truth of the battle is whatever the victor deems it to be --Sun Tzu"

This was an action-packed domestic drama that centers on two couples, a "meeting, a fight, a lie." The scene -- Joe, on his way home with his son, sees his wife's car in a place where it should not be. A question -- who was she meeting there? One lie follows another as Joe is reeling from Mel's tearful confessions. Because of the circumstances, Joe is caught up as the person of interest in a murder investigation.  Dominoes start to fall and the truth is revealed in a surprising twist of events.

I first started out listening to this book on audio files. I confess, I simply can't stand audio books for the most part. The reading pace is way too slow and the voices always irritate me. (This narrator did OK for the male voices, but those of the females and William (the son) drove me out of my mind.) So I quickly asked for the e-book and was granted approval (THANK YOU) and could rip through it at a better pace.

As far as the story goes, it was the basic theme of average family man finds the strength to prevail against all odds. Common enough premise, and this one followed the same course. I had to suspend a lot of disbelief throughout as Joe ricocheted from one revelation to the next. I really didn't care for any of the characters and especially detested the obvious attempts to make me feel some sort of care and concern about Joe's family and his marriage. I must say, however, that I was not quite sure where this was going even as I was led along. Nice little twist, but NO SPOILERS here.

I did enjoy it and it certainly kept my attention as I finished this in a couple of hours. Despite some minor annoyances with the "family man" and "good guy" tags, I liked the writing well enough to want to read more by this author. If you like authors Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay, and the other male writers who tend toward this particular subgenre, you will like this book. If nothing else, the novel will make you think twice about your online presence, technology, and personal privacy.

Thank you to Edelweiss, NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this e-book (and audio) to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment