NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Shatter the Night (Detective Gemma Monroe #4) by Emily Littlejohn

"People would be killed. Lives would be changed. And Cedar Valley would never be the same again."

Evil had crept into Cedar Valley and Detective Gemma Monroe and her colleagues are soon involved in a very complicated case that had it roots in events from long ago. The death of her grandfather's friend, Judge Caleb Montgomery, in a car bombing is just the first incident in what will prove to be a demanding investigation that requires the talents and skills of many different people to bring this killer they've dubbed "Ghost Boy" to justice. NO SPOILERS.

This is the 4th in the series and, although I've only read #3, I had no difficulty jumping right into this well-written crime thriller. It was great to reconnect with familiar characters and meet some new ones. I was most pleased, however, by further development in Gemma's character and I like her quite a lot. She's not a mess like many in this genre and, though she has her scars and some sad things in her past, she's a good detective, plays nicely with her fellow team members, and uses her head to manage the procedural aspects of this escalating situation. I am excited about the developments in her personal life as well, and I hope she can settle in with Brody and baby Grace and combine being a mother and a detective with a happy home life. The plot is quite convoluted and there's a lot going on until it all finally comes together in a satisfying conclusion. It was easy to read in a single sitting and I enjoyed the setting as well as the story.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend. I look forward to the next installment in this series.

This is the 4th book in the series and I've only read one other and, though I wish I'd gotten in at the beginning, this worked fine for me.
Genre - crime thriller, police procedural, Colorado setting

No comments:

Post a Comment