NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Winter Dark (Embla Nyström #2) by Helene Tursten

This crime thriller set in rural Sweden by an author new to me was an engaging introduction to Detective Inspector Embla Nyström of Vastra Gotaland County Bureau of Investigation Mobile Unit. She and her two colleagues, Superintendent Goran Krantz and Hampus Stahre, are sent to help in Stromstad after a series of crimes rocks the area. The cases include "two missing children, a fatal stabbing, arson with a presumed fatality, a serious assault and the murder of a police officer." What in the world is going on in that town? NO SPOILERS.

This was extremely descriptive police procedural with all the details. I had not read the first book in the series, but this worked fine as a standalone with enough background information to get me up to speed and allow me to appreciate the development of Embla's character. I like her -- she's no nonsense and independent and I definitely liked that she didn't go off on her own half-cocked and get herself into trouble as many book detective protagonists typically do. I really want to read more about her so will want to obtain the next installment in this series. I liked the writing style and the setting and feel that I'll really like learning more about all members of the team. The cases were resolved and they weren't as grisly as the murder plots I'm used to reading.

Thank you to Soho Crime and NetGalley for this e-book ARC to read and review. Forgive the lack of appropriate Swedish umlaut throughout and consistently placed in my review.

This is the second in series and I wish I had read #1 first although it worked OK as a standalone.
Genre - Mystery, crime thriller, police procedural, set in Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment