NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2) by Helen Phifer

This second book in the Beth Adams series finds Dr. Adams, a Forensic Pathologist in the Lake District, living with her boyfriend, DS Josh Walker. Beth is still fixated on her abusive ex, a man who tried to kill her -- twice -- but he's safely locked in prison and now, after 7 long years, she's feeling like she can come out of her self-imposed shell thanks to Josh. This happy little world is upset, however, when the bodies of two females are pulled from Lake Windermere in the space of 24 hours. Then, at a drinks party on a fancy boat, another girl is pushed into the same lake. These events have the same 3 people in common. Is this a serial killer at work or were the drownings accidental? NO SPOILERS.

This is me -- I love science and, as a nurse, I devour all details medical. I've long had a fascination with the work of the forensic pathologist and have read extensively in the sub genre as well as watched all the tv shows. So, I am super picky. And that's where my problem began. Beth Adams is no Kay Scarpetta nor is she a pale comparison to Dr. Quincy (just to name two) and since I know a little bit about the actual JOB duties for this position, I found myself scoffing in disbelief at the things that Beth does in this book. Even so, I continued to read and discovered that I simply don't really like any of the characters. And don't get me started on the stupid issues that Beth and Josh had during the course of their investigation! The plot was a little thin and the perpetrator obvious so there were no surprises except maybe that Beth manages to live despite needing yet another rescue or two!

I guess I might be done with this series despite my eagerness to read about a pathologist and cop who are romantically involved as well as work partners assuming each would stick to his/her strength. Maybe it's different in the Lake District to how this could possibly be done in the USA, but even when taking liberties with it for the sake of the story, it should not be quite so unbelievable? I hate being disappointed but this was a very quick read with lots of emotional angst filler so I can move on. I had such high hopes but accurate scientific detail alone can't carry a series.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the second in a series which I think should be read in order.
Genre - crime thriller, mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment