NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, December 8, 2019

The Argument by Victoria Jenkins

This is a seriously twisted domestic drama that starts out slowly and shatters with a deviation that I really didn't expect. Sure, mothers and teenaged daughters don't always see eye to eye...

Whenever I see the words, psychological thriller, I get a bit blasé. I've read hundreds of them and pride myself on spotting those important clues that give away the direction long before the denouement. Since this novel is narrated by both mother and daughter, I figured one of them had to be unreliable. Is it Hannah, the overprotective mother who just wants to keep her daughters safe or is it 15-year-old Olivia who is doing everything she can to try the patience and love of her parents? Then there's Michael, the doting husband, who's given Hannah everything she ever dreamed of having after a pretty bad childhood. And, Rosie, the younger sister who just follows the rules and appears to be the daughter they love more. There's a lot going on and I'll say no more so that you can appreciate this disturbing tale WITHOUT SPOILERS.

I've decided to rate this 4 stars because of the ending. I did read this in a single sitting over a couple of hours because I just had to know before I slept. Some of it seemed very slow but that was what ended up making the startling climax and conclusions so "in your face." It sure brought out all the feels. I can't wait to read more reviews!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre - Domestic drama, psychological drama

No comments:

Post a Comment