NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, May 7, 2020

A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight

A twisty tale of domestic suspense filled with every type of drama from secrets, lies, blackmail, sex parties to murder.

Behind the doors of the lovely brownstone homes in the wealthy section of Park Slope are married couples and families. Some of them are happy, but many have problems that they've hidden from the world and also from themselves. "But sometimes it's easier to stay married if you pretend. Willful blindness."

The peaceful enclave is shattered when one of the wives in that exclusive group is found dead at the foot of the stairs in her home after a party in the neighborhood. Amanda was married to Zach Grayson and he is soon arrested and held over without bail at Riker's. An old law school friend, Lizzie Kitsakis, is engaged to handle his case. Lots of intrigue in this complicated plot where nothing is as it seems and everyone is desperate to protect their lives, marriages and children. NO SPOILERS.

I've become accustomed to reading about people I don't like, and this was no exception. I never grew attached to any of the characters, but the story was quite entertaining and this was a fast-paced read that I found hard to put down. I enjoyed the speculation while I kept changing my mind about who killed Amanda and why. It's always fun to see if you can figure it out before the big reveal! For the most part, I found the plot believable, but there's a bit or two within that required some suspension of disbelief. I've read both other adult novels by this author and I'll continue to put her on my TBR list. I liked the narrative style and it kept me guessing.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishing for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre -- domestic suspense, legal thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment