NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Taken from Home (Detective Casey White #1) by B.R. Spangler

This first in a new series featuring Detective Casey White has it all -- kidnapping, trafficking, sex crimes, rape, abuse, and romance! I believe there is a new title: WHERE LOST GIRLS GO.

Casey leaves her apartment and job in Philadelphia after she made a mistake at work to take some time off. She travels to North Carolina and the Outer Banks, but it's not really for a vacation. Casey is searching for her missing daughter, Hannah, who had been kidnapped in front of the family home over 14 years ago. Almost immediately upon arrival, she's catapulted into a very complicated series of cases involving young women. Their bodies have been found in different places under unusual circumstances. As she helps the local police along with Jericho Flynn of the Marine Patrol, the events reveal a staggering amount of all types of criminal activity. NO SPOILERS.

I read this in a single sitting and it was quite action-packed and so much going on in the narrative.  As always, at the beginning of a new series, it takes time to warm to the characters. I haven't quite decided what I think about them yet. I vacillated in giving a rating because, although the plot was good, I had some issues with quite a bit of all that happened, the coincidences, and of course, the fact that I had a solid idea of what was going on long before the revelations at the climax and conclusion. I definitely plan to read the next installment, however, to see what comes next in that hotbed of illegal and unlawful behaviors in a popular tourist area. Also, I know it's just me, but I didn't like the instant romance aspect and some of the dumb things Casey chose to do. But, let's face it, that's typical in this genre especially with female detectives!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the first in a new series.
Genre -- crime thriller, police procedural, female detective

No comments:

Post a Comment