NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

My Dear Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie

Although considered historical fiction, this is the first book I've read that brings Elizabeth (Eliza) Schuyler Hamilton to life. Between the lines and on the pages is a truly absorbing and fascinating account of an incredible woman who indeed probably spoke of her husband, Alexander, this way: "My husband. My hero. My betrayer."

Perhaps, like me, you've seen the musical, "Hamilton" at the theater, memorized the original cast recording of the show, watched the 2016 production featuring its author Lin Manuel-Miranda on Disney+ several times already (#5 for me), and read the biography by Ron Chernow. Maybe you also wanted more facts, more story, and more about WHAT WAS ELIZA THINKING? I can never let anything be without getting several sides to a narrative. But finding the truth about a person is always fraught with issues because there is no way anyone can ever truly know another -- no matter how much interviewing, research, reading, and speculation involved. We even edit our own lives for others. I think these two authors did a masterful job of filling in the blanks for me.

There are so many fabulous quotes I could share, but I suggest that you just read it if you're a fan of American History or of any of the many formats that feature Alexander Hamilton and his amazing wife, Eliza. I think this would make a great book club read and it has so many discussion questions for you to analyze and debate. Hamilton would love a good argument!

A friend of mine gifted this to me and I'm very grateful to be able to have read, reviewed and recommended.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre - Historical Fiction subject: Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment