NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Suicide House (Rory Moore/Lane Phillips #2) by Charlie Donlea

"Veniam solum, relinquatis et (Arrive alone, leave together)."

Rory Moore, a forensic reconstructionist, and her partner/lover Dr. Lane Phillips, a forensic psychologist and criminal profiler, get involved in an investigation into a series of bizarre murders and apparent suicides at Westmont Preparatory High School in Peppermill, Indiana. This exclusive boarding school was the site of a summer secret society game gone wrong last year on the solstice. Although the police felt that they'd closed the case when their main suspect committed suicide, there are still many unanswered questions about that night. Why did 3 other surviving students return later to kill themselves at the abandoned boarding house that featured in the game -- The Man in the Mirror? As they study the cold case and review the files, interview the witnesses, and visit the site of the carnage, they realize that the mystery is theirs to solve. NO SPOILERS.

Wow, this was a fun and fast read that I found nearly impossible to put down. I typically avoid stories that feature teenagers, secret societies, and boarding schools, but I'm glad I made an exception -- but did so only because I've read and enjoyed every book by this author so I knew he would not disappoint me. I like all the characters and their idiosyncrasies; definitely Rory is unique as a protagonist since she uses her afflictions or "differences" to enhance her cold case investigations. I wasn't bothered by meeting the many different characters or the sidebars about Rory's obsession with antique doll restoration. I found the changes in POV and the time jumps appropriate to enhance the narrative. I confess, however, that I had figured it all out way before the reveals, but that just made it more interesting to see how the characters ran it down. I am looking forward to Donlea's next book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

Although this is labeled as book #2 and I did read the first one, it can be read easily as a standalone.
Genre - Suspense thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment