NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, July 13, 2020

The Patient by Jasper Dewitt

"Whatever you do, don't tell your child that the monsters they see are only things they created with their imagination."

This debut thriller is suspenseful and held me glued to the pages so I read it over a couple of hours today. There are elements of the practice of psychiatry and mental illness along with the supernatural. The narrative, in the format of dated installments posted to a defunct web page, MDconfessions.com, was written under a pseudonym and the names and places of all those referenced in the story have been changed. The synopsis gives an idea of the plot.

Patient Joe has been housed in a private room at the Connecticut State Asylum since he was 6 years old. He's considered to be dangerous and incurable. Dr. Parker H- finagled a way to get permission to treat him despite the previous long list of failures by other psychiatrists there. Therapy does not go as anticipated. NO SPOILERS.

Personally I'm not that much into horror anymore, but I have lately read a few titles in the genre and I enjoyed how succinct and compact this short novel was. I'm just glad I read it during the daylight hours because I don't want any nightmares! I thought the hubris of Parker was perfect as a foil for Joe and everything just came out with each successive "posts" providing more revelations -- some were quite surprising and all very interesting. I am fascinated by psychiatry but always a bit dubious about how effective it may or may not be. This "case" proved that not everyone can be fixed. One of my favorite supernatural/horror authors is Dean Koontz and this reminded me of his focus on battles between good and evil. I liked the menacing and foreboding tones in the prose of this book and the overall nightmare-like setting of the asylum. Fun read!

Thank you to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre - part thriller, horror, supernatural, psychiatry

1 comment:

  1. I have written a book that is similar to The Patient.
    Would you be willing to let me provide you with a copy of my book in hopes that you would consider reviewing it as well?

    My name is Larry Daane, and the book I want to send is titled Targeted. You can find a link to it here: https://www.amazon.com/Targeted-L-DAANE-Daane-ebook/dp/B0872H4G6R/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=daane+targeted&qid=1594683677&sr=8-1

    I can provide it to you as a digital file or if you wish, I can even send you a printed copy. It’s up to you.

    Of course, I understand that you are under zero obligation to review my book, and if you do review it, all I ask is that you leave an honest review. I am simply looking for the opportunity to have you consider it.

    Thank you. I look forward to your response.

    Sincerely,

    Larry Daane
    larrydaane@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete