NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Murder at the Playhouse (Miss Underhay #3) by Helena Dixon

This third in the cozy mystery series featuring Kitty Underhay is another hit with me. I like these for so many reasons -- and if you agree, this is definitely one you should follow.

I love the time period. I'm addicted to the 1920s and 1930s. The clothes, the customs, the manners, and all things cultured and classy. Despite dealing with murder and mayhem, Kitty is always poised but very modern in her thoughts and actions. Another aspect I enjoy is that it is set in a small English town and that Kitty and her grandmother own and operate a hotel. The characters are fun and the author uses a lot of description and detail to make them come alive so that I can visualize them quite clearly. The only thing I can't quite wrap my head around is this obsession with tea -- I mean, really, it's a constant thing this tea drinking! I'm also certain that people of that time period ate food other than eggs, biscuits and fish -- don't they? Regardless, this is a fun whodunit and might be predictable but that thoroughly entertained me over the course of the couple of hours it took to read.

I feel that one should read the installments in order from the beginning so to get a feel for the relationships that have evolved over the past cases and events that have transpired. We're still following a couple of storylines that have yet to be resolved so I look forward to the next book.

If you're a fan of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries or Gran Hotel or Downton Abbey or any of the other similar television dramas, you'll like this too. As I said, for me it's mainly the time period and the setting.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookoutre for this E-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is the third book in a series and they should be read in order.
Genre - amateur sleuth, murder, cozy mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment