NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Silence of the White City (#1 Inspector Unai Lopez de Ayala) by Eva Garcia Saenz

"This is where your hunt ends and mine begins."

Although this book has been on my TBR list for some time, I have been burnt out by crime thrillers recently and had skipped past it until I found myself on Goodreads one evening. I was checking out reviews for the titles on my shelf when I came upon one for this novel that mentioned that there was a Netflix film of the same name. Now, I'm a sucker for movie adaptions based on books I've read, and I almost always insist on reading the book first. In this case, however, I went to the television and watched the film -- I really didn't want to tackle a book with about 500 pages if it didn't grab me. And what a sucker punch of a serial killer thriller that was. I started the book that same night and I've been savoring it over the last couple of days.

This is definitely one of my favorite reads of 2020. I'm not sure if it was the setting, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Alava, Spain, or if I was captivated by the complicated story line, but once I opened to the maps at the start and met the characters -- I was hooked. The premise: Inspector Unai Lopez de Ayala (Kraken) and his partner, Inspector Estibaliz Ruiz de Gauna (Esti), of the Criminal Investigation Unit are looking into a series of ritualistic murders that have just begun again after a hiatus of 20 years. The immediate problem for the partners is that the man who was found guilty of those previous kills is still in prison. NO SPOILERS.

There was so much to love and nothing was lost in translation as this takes off and keeps a fast pace that doesn't let up. Included with the beautiful descriptions of the country and culture are myths and legends of the Basque country. The characters were well-developed personalities that were easy to like and relate to as they case alters their lives in many ways. I cannot wait for the second book in this trilogy to be released in English early next year -- THE WATER RITUALS. The complex plot is surpassed only by the skillful way that the author dangles the breadcrumbs of clues as the inspectors chase the truth. I was thoroughly entertained and totally satisfied.

As to whether or not you should read the book first or see the movie, that's up to you, but I'm very happy with my atypical backward approach as having already "visited" the setting and "met" the characters gave me a much deeper appreciation for all the details one can't get from a film.

Thank you to NetGalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) for this e-book ARC to read, review, and highly recommend to all mystery and thriller fans. 


This is the first in a series and could be a standalone but I can't wait for #2 and definitely read in order.

Genre - crime thriller, Spain, serial killer

No comments:

Post a Comment