NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, May 23, 2021

Stolen Daughters (Detective Amanda Steele #2) by Carolyn Arnold

 This is the second in the series featuring Detective Amanda Steele of the Prince William County Police Department in Virginia, USA. I mistakenly read this before reading the first installment and would urge you not to do that as I'm certain I missed some important backstory but this one read well enough as a standalone without that information.

In this case, Amanda and her partner, Detective Trent Stenson, are involved in the investigation of multiple murders and arson. The victims are, for the most part, teenage girls that are likely associated somehow with a local sex trafficking ring. Who is killing these girls and why? NO SPOILERS.

Although I regret not reading in order, this was a quick read that held my interest even though it echoes every single other female detective trope I've read -- and that's a lot! Headstrong, independent, unable to follow orders, messed up from a previous tragedy or past -- and, of course, able to always triumph despite putting herself in the clutches of the killer every time. I can't say I liked Amanda or the subtext that the other strong female police character in the book is out to get Amanda. Sometimes I can't get past minor annoyances and I honestly didn't find this very suspenseful. It's basically a police procedural with a female detective who is meant to be a super cop and great role model, but who instead goes off on unproductive tangents and gut instinct (and gets it wrong) but stays the course until the desired results -- and the save -- happen. And, of course there is the paternal figure in the support role of boss. And a boyfriend/love interest. Same old same. Will I read another in this series or go back to the first one -- I don't know right now.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the second in a series that should be read in order. 

Genre - female detective police procedural, sex trafficking, murder, arson

No comments:

Post a Comment