NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The Anatomy of Desire by L.R. Dorn

 A fabulous, fast-paced, and thoroughly enjoyable courtroom drama and crime thriller that I simply could not put down! A rare 4.5 stars from me -- and just when I thought I was spiraling down into a slump after reading so many ho hum novels. I'm back!

Although familiar with the title and synopsis, I never read AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, so I am not going to talk comparisons, contrasts, or analyze a re-imagining. This book, however, is perfectly poised to reflect current day obsessions with social media and those who strive to reach success in a world of people who allow influencers and celebrities to become so important in their daily lives. The story here involves a young woman who has reached a pinnacle as a fitness influencer and life coach  -- Cleo Ray (AKA Claire Griffith) has clawed her way to the top from a childhood she abandoned when she left her Bible thumping parents behind and ran away to California as a young teenager. Taken under the wing of her uncle, she is now ready to achieve even her wildest dreams. There's just one problem -- a love triangle that needs to be sorted.

I absolutely loved the style of the narrative. The story is told in the form of a true crime documentary and the characters speak through strategically placed snippets of recorded interviews. You can just imagine this on film similar to anything you might see or hear on any of the crime podcasts or other social media outlets. Preferable to long segments of description and detail, you get the facts and point of view from all the players without a lot of unnecessary fluff. I found myself quite sympathetic to Cleo even as hard as it was to understand her choices and decisions. Despite it being the trial of a woman accused of cold blooded first degree murder, Cleo wasn't easy to put into a box. As the reader hears from the significant people connected to Cleo and to the trial/legal process, the conflicting points of view make for a very dynamic experience.

This is a debut by a husband and wife duo and I hope they write more books in a similar vein. I've long been a true crime addict and this was a hit for me. Thank you to NetGalley and William Morrow and Custom House for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - courtroom drama, crime thriller, LGBTQ references, murder trial

No comments:

Post a Comment