NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, February 16, 2024

Death Angel (Alexandra Cooper #15) by Linda Fairstein

 I haven’t read a book in this series for some time and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed revisiting the characters of Assistant DA Alexandra Cooper and Detectives Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace of the NYPD. 


Ostensibly a crime thriller, this narrative also features many historic details about New York City. I really liked all the information about Central Park and the Dakota. I’m one who likes that level of description and can’t get enough of all the facts. I’m always inspired to go off on my own and read more about those famous places that I’ve only actually ever seen once in real life. 


This particular case starts with the discovery of a body in the water by the Bethesda Angel. The girl appears homeless and has no identification. In their efforts to figure out who killed her, the team explores the park and surrounding areas, stumbling onto a connection to a wealthy family who has lived at the Dakota for generations. A little girl disappeared from the top floor apartments of the Dalton family and was never found. Is that case related to this current homicide? 


There are other side plots going on as well in this novel as Mike Chapman has made a serious error in judgment leading to a scandal that also threatens Alex’s reputation. Mental health issues, the plight of the homeless, the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the safety in Central Park called into question, rapists on the loose, well, you get the picture. Very busy book. The last part when Alex finds herself in personal danger (don’t they always go off on their own and get into trouble) was the least appealing part of this novel. I also get the impression, though I have skipped around the series and not kept up with it, that this current romantic situation she finds herself exploring is really out of character. 


Regardless, I did enjoy this and also liked the narrator who did justice to the characters and gave voice to their quirky personalities and accents. I listened to the audio version and also read a bit of the e-book that I received as an ARC from NetGalley a quite some time ago.  


Definitely want to search out other installments going forward. Recommended.  

This is the 15th book in the series. I believe it works fine as a standalone though I have read others previously in the series.

Genre - crime thriller, legal, 

No comments:

Post a Comment