NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, February 2, 2024

Everyone in My Family Has Killed Somone by Benjamin Stevenson

 Clever and snarky, this uniquely written murder mystery introduces a family of killers who are having a reunion at a mountain top ski resort. The protagonist is the reliable narrator, Ernest (Ern) Cunningham, who will use Ronald Knox's "10 Commandments of Detective Fiction" to address a perplexing and longstanding historical issue within the family. The drama starts when the body of a stranger is found in the snow outside the guest house. Secrets are revealed as a storm isolates the family and chills abound when they realize there are more murders to come. 


I picked this up when I realized that I had the second in the series set to be read and reviewed for the publisher. I like to start at the beginning with the first installment. I really liked the writing style though it took me a moment to get into it and meet all the characters.  I did enjoy the interjection of dark humor and the way that Ern talks to the reader throughout. I can't say that I related to or liked any of the family members, but they are definitely all interesting as you get deeper into the book. I probably would have liked this a lot more had I really enjoyed the plot and the complexity of the story. It just didn't interest me that much as it was all about something that had occurred in the far past. I am, however, a fan of original ways to tell a tale so I am looking forward to reading the next book to see how the style is employed in a different setting.

This is the first in a new series.

Genre - murder mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment