NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Women: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

 Unforgettable.

Although this novel tells one woman's fictional coming of age story, this is really a testimonial to all the women who served in Vietnam and whose service was neither appreciated nor recognized by their country or their fellow citizens. 


Frances "Frankie" McGrath is 21 when she impetuously joins the Army Nurse Corps. Arriving in country without any notion of the horrors of war, she is completely unprepared for daily life in these makeshift hospital and surgical wards near the shifting conflicts in the jungle and in the air. The devastation she witnesses, and the sheer multitude of injury and death is almost more than any soul can bear. She forms a strong friendship with her two hooch mates and that bond is the only relationship that keeps her sane as she develops her nursing skills to save as many of the wounded as she can. Despite the terrible conditions, she feels that Vietnam is where she can be of most use and she really wants to be a hero. Ultimately, she wants her parents to be proud of her as they were of her beloved brother. And, after a second tour, she finally returns home only to find that the world as she knew it has changed. She's an embarrassment and is reviled and soon becomes broken and lost. She wants to move forward but there is another fierce battle for herself at home. 


I was in middle and high school during the last years of the Vietnam War. I was vaguely aware of the draft but I do not remember anyone I knew going there. When I graduated, I went off to college, to nursing school, and the #1 show was MASH. I wanted to be Loretta Swit and I really intended to join the military as soon as I got my degree. Life had other plans for me and that dream was set aside as I became a wife and mother. I always regretted not serving. Now, after reading what life was like in a war zone operating room, I know for sure that I would never have had the strength or endurance to do that job. While the TV show did give a glimpse, I now understand that the true picture of what it was like was hidden from all of us as no one ever asked those nurses or the other women that were in Vietnam for their stories. What must have it been like for them to hear that there "were no women in Vietnam." To be denied help at Veterans hospitals and clinics. 


I believe this novel will really appeal to a certain reader and affect them differently depending on what they think or know of the war years and if they had personal experiences with it. My heart was breaking for the main character who I am sure represented a good many of those who went through the atrocities and chaos. 


Rarely do I rate a fiction book 5 stars but I can't stop thinking about this. The narration was excellent, and the writing was so evocative and powerful. The story resonated with me in a way that I have not felt in a long while. This review does not do the book justice. It's possible that the descriptions of the gory nature of war will be a turnoff to some. The main character goes through a lot during the course of the story but every word demonstrates the absolute toll that serving one's country takes on a person. It explains why so many came home so damaged. 


Thank you for the audio and the e-book advance copies to read, review, and highly recommend. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - historical fiction, Vietnam War, Army Nurse Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment