NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, July 28, 2024

The Second Mrs Strom by Kaira Rouda

 If you like reading a story about horrible, vindictive, narcissistic people then this is the novel for you.


Paul Strom has married again. But now he's the rich one after his stint at being a boy toy has ended with his paramour's death. Cecilia is everything he wants after his disastrous first marriage and the loss of his two sons (see first book). She is young and beautiful and will help him take Hollywood by storm. Unfortunately, he doesn't really know her very well at all. And she has her own ideas about what this marriage is going to do for her. 


This was just too much nastiness for me. Both Paul and Cecilia are such hideous people that I could barely get through this though others might like this kind of psychological drama. At first, I was drawn in and hoped that perhaps the whole plot would turn out different than expected, but, alas, it was predictable and thus I just read the twisty mess to get to the epilogue. I was not happy with the conclusion either. Definitely read Best Day Ever first before you tackle this one if you really think you need more. 


I was able to listen to the audiobook while following along with the e-book, both provided by the publisher. I really wanted to like this one, but I do not like this type of trope where bad people get away with so much evil behavior. I liked the voice of the male narrator, but the female's voice was like nails on a chalkboard and got on my nerves with the breathy high-pitched sound. 

This is a follow-up to The Best Day Ever so read that one first.

Genre - psychological drama

No comments:

Post a Comment