NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Doing Harm by Kelly Parsons






4.5 out of 5 stars - Fast-paced and exciting medical thriller!

Dr. Steve Mitchell is chief resident in surgery at University Hospital in Boston. He's in line for consideration of an appointment to the faculty of this institution after graduation if he just stays on course and works hard. He's flying high until he has a VERY BAD week and things start to spiral downhill rapidly. He makes some serious errors in judgment and is investigated by the safety committee of the hospital. He may even get fired as things go from bad to worse. It seems that someone is killing his patients and has issued a challenge to Steve: stop me if you can!

Loved this novel -- one of the best medical suspense stories that I've read in ages! It was original and quite a roller coaster ride. I simply could NOT put it down and stayed up way late into the night because I had to know what happened. I'm sure I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed every single minute detail about the surgical procedures, medical treatment and care, and the diseases and problems the patients had.

The flawed and all-too-human protagonist vs a completely unusual foe -- bravo for a fresh medically focused thriller by an author whose work I'm going to seek out again! I can tell you that the author not only knew medicine, but also wrote very well.

POSSIBLE SPOILER(The psychopath reminded me of Gretchen Lowe in the series by Chelsea Cain.)

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and review this ARC ebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment