NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Collector of Dying Breaths by M.J. Rose





4.0 out of 5 stars - Compelling, fascinating, historical fiction with a supernatural element and a theme centering on the subject of reincarnation.

This conclusion to the trilogy featuring mythbuster and perfumer Jac L’Etoile brings closure to a very entertaining series, but I must say that I'm sad to see it end. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of life and times in the 1500s from the point of view of RenĂ© le Florentine and learning about the machinations of Catherine de Medici and her court in France. In addition, I learned quite a bit about the art of perfumery (and poisoning) then and now.

Though I do not believe in reincarnation or ghosts, I do firmly believe in the concept of the soul -- however I have not yet decided what I personally feel happens to it when a person dies. This novel provides so much for discussion and I think book groups would love talking about all three of the novels because of the many controversial and thought-provoking philosophies. Each reader might think, if only for a moment...what if?  And, how much of the supernatural could be real? Do we really understand all that IS in the world and space we occupy?

I'll be recommending it. I loved the whole 3-book series. Would love seeing this as a movie! I would suggest that the series be read in order as the character of Jac develops over the course of her exploits and that is what makes the apparent end to her story all the more satisfying.

Thank you to NetGalley and Atria books for the ARC ebook! I'd love to own a set of hardcovers as the artwork is beautiful on the dust jackets -- evokes the whole mood of each book! I have no clue which was my favorite of the three!

#1 The Book of Lost Fragrances
#2 Seduction: A Novel of Suspense
#3 The Collector of Dying Breaths

No comments:

Post a Comment