NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, January 21, 2018

I Know My Name by C.J. Cooke

"Light creeps in through the cracks caused by tumbling through the hard spaces of life. But it's love that lets the light back out of us, moving inward and outward at the same time, dissolving the thresholds between past and present, between each other."

A nearly drowned woman washes up on the remote and derelict Kommeno Island -- 8.4 miles northwest of Crete. In Potters Lane, Twickenham, London, 37-year-old Eloise Shelley has vanished from her charming Edwardian semi. She left behind her four-year-old son, Max, and newborn daughter, Cressida, as well as her husband, Lochlan. What follows is an incredibly complex narrative told in alternating points of view with occasional shifts between 2015 and dates from 1983.

NO SPOILERS. This is a remarkable novel unlike any I've read previously because of the many nuances and details leading to an incredible revelation. Yes, it's sort of a mystery, but it's more than labeling it a psychological thriller as well. It's really a case study more than anything, and one that I won't soon forget. Nothing like I was anticipating when I read the blurb thinking that I knew all about where this was going to go being a fan of this genre and all. I don't want to put this in a category. The writing was incredible and the story horrific and heartbreaking.

I could go on and on in this review, but I don't want to ruin it for any reader. This book would be great for a club discussion for sure, but it also begs a lot of questions that each of us will ponder, turning and assessing in our own minds. Is it realistic to think this could happen? I'm a skeptic at heart, but I was quite moved by the struggle and the outcome experienced by the characters -- all very vividly depicted and so three-dimensional.

Just get a copy and read it and I'd love to know what you think of it all. I could not put it aside as I kept coming back to the situations and just had to know the truth once and for all. Sure I had some clues and was pretty sure I had figured out where it was going, but the author was so skillful that I wasn't quite sure how it would all end. The conclusion was fitting and satifying for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Grand Central Publishing for an e-book ARC of this to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment