NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Liars (THE GOOD LIAR) by Frances Vick

Psychological thriller narrated by 3 different people -- all of them liars and mostly thouroughly unlikeable. The synopsis provided on the book information page is misleading and inaccurate.

Jenny, David, and Freddie -- all have their own perspectives or perceptions of their interactions with each other and their tales of what their past lives were like. It's hard to sift through the exaggerations and interpretations of events to get at the truth. All are self serving. None are who they pretend to be and their motivations to be involved with each other are warped. People connected with the three keep dying -- who is responsile for that? Jenny's mom, Jenny's stepfather (who she claims had abused her). Is someone Jenny's protector and savior -- or is it something entirely different? No one is who they seem.

Frankly, I didn't like any of the characters and got tired of the convoluted way the layers were revealed so that the reader could try to put the pieces together to form some answers. Although I didn't like the ending, it was realistic considering the nature of Jenny, and entirely anticipated. The twists were expected since the reader knew everyone -- particularly David and Jenny -- had some seriously flawed personalities.

Did I like this? It was a little slow and I guess I prefer a more linear story with characters I can actually respect or understand. NO SPOILERS, but I do like it when good guys win. Or when there is a "good guy" to root for.

I read the ARC of this titled THE GOOD LIAR. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-galley to review. I would read another by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment